Honda Looks Toward Tomorrow with 2017 Clarity Fuel Cell Marketing Campaign
2/8/2017 2:00:00 PM
- Multi-channel campaign introduces new Clarity Fuel Cell as an everyday drivable sedan with class-leading features
- Inspired by Honda's "Blue Skies for Our Children" environmental vision
- "Thinking About Tomorrow" TV spot directed by PES, creator of Honda's "Paper" and "The Power of Ridgeline" commercials
TORRANCE, Calif. – Honda is introducing the all-new, five-passenger 2017 Clarity Fuel Cell with a multi-channel marketing campaign, "Always Thinking About Tomorrow," focused on taking fuel cell technology mainstream by educating consumers about the advantages of Honda's all-new fuel cell vehicle as an everyday drivable sedan that uses hydrogen as a fuel source.
The campaign is inspired by Honda's global environmental slogan "Blue Skies for Our Children," which began more than 40 years ago and continues to encourage Honda to advance sustainability and the reduction of CO2 emissions in its products and manufacturing operations.
"The new marketing campaign for the Honda Clarity Fuel Cell is the next step in our effort to advance fuel cell vehicles to the mainstream market," said Steve Center, vice president of the Environmental Business Development Office at American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "This fully integrated marketing campaign also demonstrates our commitment to growing electrified vehicles into a volume pillar for the Honda brand."
Clarity Fuel Cell TV Spot and Edu-tainment Video Series
The new Clarity Fuel Cell campaign is headlined by a :60 spot titled "Thinking About Tomorrow (https://youtu.be/e1b-Zt2IJl8)," highlighting hydrogen as the fuel that powers the Clarity Fuel Cell and its only emission is pure water. The voices of children singing serve as the soundtrack communicating Honda is creating vehicles today that will have an impact on future generations. The theme of "Blue Skies for Our Children" resonates throughout the spot and the entire integrated campaign, with the TV creative brought to life by PES, the Academy Award® nominated stop-motion artist behind Honda's popular "Paper" and "The Power of Ridgeline" ads. This campaign represents a departure for PES, moving away from stop-motion into live action and digital-effects production. The children who make up a choir of singing hydrogen molecules were filmed individually with intricately choreographed motion-control cameras and orbiting spotlights. These scenes were then digitally composited with special effects to create a musical atomic galaxy.
The :60 spot also drives viewers to five edu-tainment videos that educate and entertain consumers about the benefits of hydrogen and the Clarity Fuel Cell. The videos will be featured on YouTube (https://youtu.be/lXvgee2Amng), as well as the Honda Clarity Facebook page, and Honda's Twitter and Google+ pages.
- "Good Times Behind the Wheel"
- The Clarity Fuel Cell has a 366-mile range rating, it's eligible for HOV-lane access, and it's fun-to-drive. It is a Honda, after all.
- "Is This Car From the Future?"
- See why the hydrogen-powered, zero-emission Clarity Fuel Cell is the most technologically advanced vehicle Honda has ever made.
- "Nerding Out on Fuel Cells"
- Learn about the amazing science behind how a fuel cell vehicle uses hydrogen to create electricity.
- "Our History of Rethinking Fuel"
- The hydrogen-powered, zero-emission Clarity Fuel Cell isn't our first foray into alternative-fuel sources. We've been creating trailblazing, alt-fuel vehicles for more than two decades.
- "Refueling Is Easy"
- It only takes 3-5 minutes to refuel the hydrogen-powered Clarity Fuel Cell. And it's ridiculously easy.
Clarity Fuel Cell Campaign
The "Always Thinking About Tomorrow" Clarity Fuel Cell debuts today on Honda social channels as well throughout Honda's digital advertising and will make its TV premiere during the broadcast of the Academy Awards, February 26, 2017 in the Los Angeles market. In addition, :30 and :60 "Thinking About Tomorrow" spots will air across local TV in top California markets, where the Clarity Fuel Cell is available (Los Angeles, San Francisco and Sacramento).
Furthermore, to build greater awareness of the Clarity Fuel Cell and hydrogen dispensers, a dedicated :30 spot will be displayed on video screens above conventional gasoline fuel pumps at select gas stations in Los Angeles that also house hydrogen fuel pumps.
The Clarity Fuel Cell campaign will include California- targeted homepage takeovers on Business Insider, CNN, Slate, Digital Trends and more. Large-scale outdoor billboards will boost visibility within select major urban markets, including Los Angeles, San Francisco and Sacramento. The outdoor billboards will be placed in close proximity to Honda's 12 authorized fuel cell dealerships. To extend the campaign's presence, print ads will be featured in Car and Driver, and Road & Track magazines.
About the Honda Clarity Fuel Cell
Honda customers leasing the new Clarity Fuel Cell will enjoy all the benefits of driving the most advanced zero-emissions vehicle on the road today, including its ultra-low carbon footprint, comfortable seating for five, and $15,000 worth of hydrogen fuel. In addition, the Clarity Fuel Cell has the highest EPA driving range rating of any zero-emission vehicle in America, including fuel cell and battery electric vehicles, with a 366 mile range rating and a fuel economy rating of 68 combined MPGe (miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent)1. Retail leasing of the Clarity Fuel Cell is now available through an expanded network of 12 approved Honda dealerships located in select California markets, including six dealerships in Southern California, five in the Bay Area, and one in Sacramento. Honda will further grow its fuel cell vehicle dealer network as the network of public hydrogen fueling stations expands across the state.
The Clarity Fuel Cell is available for the competitive introductory lease price of $369 a month for 36 months with $2,868 due at signing2. The lease terms include an attractive mileage allowance of 20,000 miles per year, up to $15,000 of hydrogen fuel, up to 21 days of an Avis Luxury Rental in California, 24/7 roadside assistance, and eligibility for California "White Sticker" single occupant HOV access.
Customers interested in the Clarity Fuel Cell are encouraged to visit http://automobiles.honda.com/clarity, where they can receive more information and sign up for the opportunity to become a Clarity Fuel Cell customer.
Honda Commitment to the Environment
Based on its longstanding commitment to leaving "Blue Skies for Our Children," Honda is working to advance technologies that address society's environmental and energy concerns. Honda is targeting a 50 percent reduction in its total company CO2 emissions on a global basis by 2050, compared to 2000 levels. The Clarity Fuel Cell is the first of the Clarity Series to come to the American market. Soon to join the Clarity Fuel Cell will be the new Clarity Electric and Clarity Plug-In Hybrid in 2017, as the company strives to realize significant growth in sales of electrified vehicles.
# # #
1. 69 city / 67 highway / 68 combined miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent (MPGe) rating; 366-mile driving range rating. Based on 2017 EPA ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your MPGe and driving range will vary based on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, powertrain condition, and other factors.
2. Includes down payment with no security deposit. Excludes taxes, registration, license and dealer fees. For well qualified lessees. Subject to availability beginning December 2016 to California residents on approved credit through Honda Financial Services. Closed end lease for 2017 Honda Clarity Fuel Cell for well qualified lessees. Not all applicants will qualify. No purchase option at lease end. Total monthly payments $13,284. Lessee responsible for maintenance, excessive wear/tear, and 20 cents per mile over 20,000 miles per year. Lease includes Roadside Assistance, up to $15,000 of hydrogen fuel, and up to 21 days Avis luxury rental car. Total due at lease signing is $2,868 plus tax and registration and includes first month's payment and capitalized cost reduction of $2,499. Offer ends March 31, 2017. Please see your authorized Honda Clarity dealer for complete details. Accessories sold separately. See Honda Clarity dealer for details.