Honda Introduces HSS Series Snow Blowers
8/17/2015 1:00:00 PM
- Exceptional performance and ease of operation for residential and commercial consumers
- Models manufactured at Honda Power Equipment Mfg., Inc. (HPE) in Swepsonville, NC
Honda Power Equipment today introduced its all-new HSS Series of premium snow blowers for North American and European markets. Designed with an emphasis on quality, reliability, and ease of use, the new HSS724A, HSS928A and HSS1332A two-stage models deliver superior performance and enhanced control and handling for both residential and commercial users.
The all-new HSS Series products are being manufactured domestically at Honda Power Equipment Mfg., Inc. (HPE) in Swepsonville, NC, using domestic and globally sourced parts, allowing for increased flexibility to meet customer demand. Honda R&D Americas, Inc. in North Carolina and Honda R&D Co., Ltd., in Japan collaborated to design and develop the all-new HSS snow blowers, integrating a host of innovative design elements that contribute to simplicity of operation, superior snow removal and exceptional quality—all with a central focus on performance that delivers.
Ten all-new U.S. HSS snow blower models, each equipped with dramatic enhancements, are replacing the existing HS Series snow blower model counterparts. Key features include:
- Finger Tip Steering Control – conveniently located hand lever controls allows for easy maneuvering, and disengagement of transmission for easy movement when not powered (all models)
- Hydrostatic Transmission (HST) – far superior than traditional disk drive; provides single-lever variable speed control when operating in forward or reverse (all models)
- Joystick Electric Chute Control – single joystick control (4-directions) provides precision
control of chute rotation and discharge angle; directly powered by the engine’s power coil; no battery required (all models)
- DC Electric Start – no extension cord necessary; easy starting with the on-board battery, which is automatically charged by the engine (all electric start models)
- Blower Diameter Increased – for increased snow removal speed and discharge distance
- HSS724A increased from 252 to 300 mm (11.8 inches) over previous model
- HSS928A increased from 300 to 340 mm (13.4 inches) over previous model
- HSS1332A increased from 300 to 340 mm (13.4 inches) over previous model
- Chamfered Scraper Bar – design allows for edge of scraper to hit snow and ice patches flush and evenly for improved snow clearing to the pavement (all models)
- LED Headlight – integrated into cover for improved night visibility; brighter, long lasting, and never burns out (all models)
- Auger Height Lever – adjustable gas strut to raise/lower and position the entire auger housing precisely, providing prefect ground clearance over gravel or non-smooth surfaces. (all track models)
- Wheel Diameter – increased to 14” diameter with directional tread for more ground contact and improved traction (all wheel models)
- Oil Drain location – improved for easier access (all models)
- Offset Blower Shear Bolt – unique design that provides for quick replacement and protects both auger and blower from damage (all models)
- Auger Protection System – protects the shear bolts (HSS1332 models only)
- Hour Meter – monitors hours of operation (HSS1332 models only)
- Precision Deflector Chute – double-articulated deflector improves distance accuracy control (HSS1332AATD model only)
- Impeller Shield – optimized to more efficiently direct snow into the blower (all models)
- Reversible Skid Shoes – increased durability, offering twice the wear surface (all models)
- 3-Year Commercial and Residential Warranty (all HSS models)
When it comes to snow throwing distance, the all-new Honda HSS snow blowers boast superior performance. Lightweight, right-sized GX engines, providing reliable power and quick starts, a pulley size optimized for top speed of the impeller, and an impeller wing positioned at 90 degrees for increased efficiency all work to contribute to increased snow throwing capability for each model.
“Snow removal is a tough job, and Honda engineers developed the all-new HSS Series snow blowers with an eye on both the residential customer and the commercial operator,” said Scott Conner, senior vice president, Honda Power Equipment. “Honda has incorporated a number of advanced features into the design of the HSS models to put more power behind the job of blowing snow—resulting in enhanced performance and ease of use.”
The Power Behind the Product
At the heart of every Honda snow thrower is a world-renowned, easy-starting engine that delivers smooth, quiet, reliable 4-stroke power and low emission levels. The new HSS724A, HSS928A, and HSS1332A models are powered by Honda GX Series Engines—the 200cc GX200 overhead valve (OHV) engine, the 270cc GX270 OHV engine, and 390cc GX390 OHV engine respectively. The mid-sized GX200 model is a single-cylinder, horizontal-shaft engine equipped with a number of design enhancements, including a new carburetor chamber coating; an improved recoil rope design; and an added carburetor filter—all of which help improve its fuel efficiency, reliability and durability. Larger GX270 and GX390 engines feature a rugged OHV design, an advanced combustion chamber design, variable ignition timing, and an increased compression ratio—all working to ensure a high level of durability and reliability, increased power output, and fuel efficiency. In addition, the new HSS724AWD, HSS724ATD, HSS928AWD, HSS928ATD, and HSS1332ATD models incorporate an on-board battery for electric start capability.
The new Honda HSS snow blowers have a standard three-year warranty for residential and commercial use, and all models meet all current Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California Air Resources Board (CARB) emission standards. These new snow throwers will be available nationally through Honda Power Equipment dealers starting September 1, 2015.
# # #
Honda Power Equipment, a division of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., markets a complete range of outdoor power equipment, including outboard marine engines, general purpose engines, generators, lawnmowers, pumps, snow blowers, tillers and trimmers for commercial, rental and residential applications. Its comprehensive product line consists exclusively of 4-stroke engines.
Information for media regarding Honda Engine products is available at www.hondanews.com.
Consumer information, including model overviews and updates, video clips, and complete specifications regarding Honda products, is available at www.honda.com, www.powerequipment.honda.com, www.hondaengines.com,
About Honda Power Equipment Manufacturing, Inc.
On August 6, 2014, Honda Power Equipment Mfg., Inc. (HPE) marked the 30th anniversary of operations at its Swepsonville, North Carolina facility by announcing a new $8.5 million investment in plant operations to innovate production processes and add new products to its manufacturing lines, including two-stage snow blowers and generator models. Less than one year after this announcement, HPE celebrated the start of production of the all-new HSS Series two-stage snow blower line with a ceremony at its operation on June 9, 2015.
The 375,000 square-foot facility, which houses both Honda power equipment production and R&D operations, has long served as a major producer of Honda power equipment products for worldwide distribution, with the capacity to produce upwards of two million premium-quality Honda power equipment products each year. In 2013 alone, more than 400,000 North Carolina-made Honda power equipment products were exported to overseas markets, marking a record for the company. Honda’s total investment in its Swepsonville operations is nearly $250 million.
The Swepsonville plant, which today employs more than 600 associates, has produced more than 30 million products using domestic and globally sourced parts during its 30-year history. HPE is the largest manufacturing operation in Alamance County, which also serves as home to Honda Aero in Burlington, maker of the HondaJet HF120 turbofan engines. Additional Honda operations based in North Carolina include Honda Aircraft Company in Greensboro, maker of the HondaJet advanced light jet, and American Honda Finance Company in Charlotte, which provides financing to consumers who buy Honda products. Honda total employment in North Carolina is nearly 3,000.
Today, HPE is the sole global production source for all Honda GC and GCV general-purpose engines and all Honda single-stage snow blowers. HPE provides these products – vital tools for residential and commercial users – to customers around the world.
HPE is supported by a network of suppliers that provide integral components for manufacturing. Currently, 155 domestic and international suppliers work with HPE; 45 of those suppliers are based in North Carolina. HPE has purchased nearly $500 million in parts from North Carolina suppliers, and the company will continue to work closely with the local community as the Honda business grows.
The Honda power product research and development team also is based at the HPE campus, where most lawn mower, snow blower and several general-purpose engines are designed and developed. Originally based in Ohio, the Honda power product R&D team moved to North Carolina in 1993 to be closer to power product manufacturing. As a result, Honda has greater synergies between development and production teams.