2018 Honda FourTrax Rancher Features & Benefits
8/22/2017 4:00:00 PM
- FourTrax Rancher (TRX420TM1)
- FourTrax Rancher 4x4 (TRX420FM1)
- FourTrax Rancher 4x4 ES (TRX420FE1)
- FourTrax Rancher 4x4 Automatic EPS (TRX420FA2)
- FourTrax Rancher 4x4 Automatic IRS (TRX420FA5)
- FourTrax Rancher 4x4 Automatic IRS EPS (TRX420FA6)
In an age of increasing specialization, versatility can be extremely refreshing, and it's difficult to find a better example of do-it-all effectiveness than Honda's family of capable Rancher® ATVs. No matter what the application—whether it's accessing a favorite deer stand, repairing a fence on the back 40, or just exploring the local OHV area with friends—there's a Rancher that's ideally suited. Available in six configurations, the Rancher is offered with manual transmission, push-button Electric Shift Program™ (ESP®), or automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), and there are also choices between IRS and a solid rear axle, as well as 2WD and 4WD. The 420cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine offers the sort of unrivaled reliability that keeps Rancher owners using their vehicles for many years, and appropriately, the spread of power is well suited for any situation.
Engine / Drivetrain
- The three Automatic Rancher models have Honda's Automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), which provides the compact size and strength of a manual transmission (no belts to slip, break or burn out) with the convenience of an automatic, while giving the rider the option of push-button, manual control via Honda's Electric Shift Program (ESP). The Automatic DCT features a dual shift-mapping program that automatically selects between two transmission shifting modes—either Cruise or Sport mode—for optimum shift timing depending on the rider's pattern of throttle operation. During aggressive use, the Sport mode kicks in and holds the transmission in gear longer before shifting, delivering more aggressive performance. During more casual operation, the Cruise mode allows the transmission to shift up sooner for more casual performance and enhanced fuel efficiency.
- Rugged OHV liquid-cooled, fuel-injected 420cc longitudinally mounted engine allows direct driveshaft alignment to front and rear wheels for maximum drivetrain efficiency.
- Overhead-valve design provides compact engine dimensions for excellent ground clearance while maintaining a broad, easy-to-use powerband.
- On the five 4WD models, Honda TraxLok® 2WD/4WD system offers two drive modes: 2WD and 4WD with TraxLok torque-sensing front differential.
- Super-heavy-duty automatic clutch with a low-rpm engagement point for excellent driveability and towing capability.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) system provides great power delivery and throttle response, plus high fuel efficiency for great range.
- All Ranchers have a five-speed transmission with Reverse, including an ultra-low First gear. The three Automatic models and the Rancher 4x4 ES incorporate Honda's exclusive ESP for easy shifts with the touch of a handlebar-mounted button.
- Stainless-steel exhaust system includes a USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler designed for quiet operation without servicing, for long-lasting performance.
Chassis / Suspension
- The two EPS models have Electric Power Steering, with ECU mapping that provides linearity in steering response for low steering effort, enhanced maneuverability and minimum kickback.
- Double-cradle steel chassis with a frame developed with Computer Aided Engineering is stiff for precise handling and a smooth ride.
- Heavy-duty trailer hitch with 848-pound towing capacity.
- Twin-headlight system features 35-watt headlights with a focused light-distribution pattern for great visibility after dark.
- Adjustable spring preload featured on all shocks to allow for quick and easy suspension-tuning to match varying loads and riding conditions.
- Non-IRS models have rubber swingarm pivot bushings that yield plush low-speed ride comfort and great durability, and rear brake is located in a protected area inside the right rear wheel for durability and ground clearance.
- One-piece tank/side cover allows easy access (no tools required) for maintenance; aggressively styled bodywork provides good mud protection.
- Honda Phantom Camo® blends into a wide range of field environments, and Honda application procedures provide durable graphics and resistance to fuel spillage.
- Fuel pump is derived from Honda automobile technology; mounts in the fuel tank for heat isolation and long filter life
- Plastic CV joint boots are durable and tear-resistant.
- Sealed steering knuckle bearings for durability.
- Optimized rider triangle for comfort.
- Full-length synthetic lower skid plate with integrated front brush guard.
- Front carrier capacity is 66 pounds; rear is 133 pounds.
Transferable one-year limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan
Front Rack Bag, Rear Rack Bag, Fender Bag, Side Pocket net, Winch, Winch Mount Kit, Plow Mount Kit, Plow Blade, Plow Push Tube, Outdoor Cover, Rear A-Arm Guards, Front A-Arm Guards, Skid Plate, Heated Grips, 12V Accessory Socket, Recoil Starter, Windscreen, Front Bumper, Rear Bumper
WARRANTY: Because we are so confident in the quality of each of our Honda Accessories, we are pleased to offer one of the best warranties in the industry. One-year warranty begins on the day accessories are purchased by the customer.
*Final accessories are TBD and are subject to change without notice.
- Meets current CARB and EPA off-road emissions standards
- Recommended for riders 16 years of age and older